March 5, 2021
Dear EDCJCC Community,
It started with a simple idea. Help match people in need of vaccinations with volunteers who had a bit more time or tech savvy to help book appointments. In just one month, our Vaccine Sign Up Support Project, in partnership with the wonderful students at GW Hillel and other community members, has grown by leaps and bounds!
In only 4 short weeks we have:
- Enrolled more than 1,000 older adults in the EDCJCC/ GW Hillel Vaccine Enrollment Volunteer Match project
- Recruited close to 400 volunteers from GW Hillel, Georgetown Hillel, American University & beyond!
- Matched almost 700 older adults to volunteers to support them in the vaccine enrollment process
- Secured close to 340 vaccine appointments in DC, MD and VA
- We have begun working with JCCs, Hillels and other organizations across the country to help them replicate this model to support vaccine enrollment in their local communities
- We’re working to expand vaccine appointment assistance to those with barriers to access such as technology and English language
And, thank you to those of you who shared your stories with us and with the various media outlets who have been doing pieces on this project.
In the News:
- How to Score a Vaccine Appointment: Recruit a College Kid with Tech Skills and Patience – The Wall Street Journal
- Jewish college students volunteer to help local seniors register for vaccine – The Forward
- Why Students Are Helping Seniors Sign Up for COVID-19 Vaccination Appointments – Washington City Paper
- GW Hillel Students Lend a Hand to Older Jewish Adults for Vaccine Signup – Moment Magazine
- New project to help seniors register for COVID vaccination – Washington Jewish Week
- Students help seniors navigate online COVID vaccine appointments – Fox5DC
As vaccines continue to become available, it truly feels like each shot in an arm is a small miracle and such an important step in the right direction.
In good health,
Chief Executive Officer