Edlavitch DCJCC Land Acknowledgement
The Edlavitch DC Jewish Community Center sits on the traditional homeland of the Nacostines, indigenous farmers and traders who lived along the banks of the Anacostia River. Beginning in 1608, European settlers decimated the Nacostine with disease, warfare, and forced removal. By the 1700s, the survivors fled to join other tribes to the north, south, and west, including the Piscataway Peoples. Today, all that remains of the Nacostines is the river that bears the Latinized version of their name – the Anacostia.
We know this acknowledgement is only a small step towards justice, and we ask that all of us learn about the past and invest in the future of our country’s indigenous communities wherever we are.